St Mark's Church - Salzburg


St Mark's church lies at between the foot of the Mönschberg and the river Salzach, on a very narrow strip of land, and was built in 1699. It is regarded as one of the greatest masterpieces of Baroque architecture, and was designed by architect Fischer von Erlach, and was consecrated in 1705, the nearby Ursuline convent took a further two decades to complete. Three saints adorn the church's pediment: St. Mark the Evangelist in the centre with St. Augustine and St. Ursula on either side. Visitors are usually stunned by the unexpected richness of the church's interior: elaborate stucco, colourful frescoes by the Tyrolean painter Christoph Anton Mayr, and the cupola with portrayals of St. Ursula in heaven. The saints on the façade can also be found inside the church. The altar furniture and pews are embellished with fine woodcarving. One of the Salzburg Foundation's most hotly-discussed works of art is located on Ursuline Square in front of St. Mark's Church: Markus Lüpertz's ""Mozart"" statue. Facing its counterpart, the bronze statue stands on a one-meter pedestal in the traditional supporting leg/relaxed leg pose. It is well worth the visit. The former convent now houses the city's popular Natural History Museum.

Opening

Open daily 9am-6pm

Prices

Free, however a donation is appreciated


Address : Franz-Josef-Kai 21 5020 Salzburg Austria

Phone : +43 662842590

Map :

Related places :