Galleria della Accademia - Florence


The academy was founded by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo de Lorena who, in 1784, gathered in the former Hospital of San Matteo all the drawing schools. The headquarters of the institution included a painting gallery which was to be used as a teaching tool for the pupils. The collection of the Accademia contains works from the XIIIth to the XIXth century, made principally by Florentine artists. The objects come from the Academy of Fine arts, Academy Disegno and former convents. The Galleria della Accademia is so famous because it has one of the most renowned works of art in Arts' history: Michelangelo's David. The huge 5 metre statue was moved to the gallery in 1873. The statue remained almost 4 centuries in the Piazza della Signoria. Were brought there other works by Michelangelo such as the San Matteo and four Slaves belonging to Julius II's tomb. The edifice also houses a collection of plaster mouldings by Lorenzo Bartolini et de Luigi Pampaloni, two artists of XIXth century. There is also a Russian icon collection. The Galleria della Accademia also has the Museum of Musical Instruments that displays instruments kept at the Cherubini Academy. The collection contains around 50 objects from the XVIIth to the XIXth century.


Address : Florence Italy

Map :

Related places :