Church of St Michael - Salzburg


St Michael's Church is the oldest parish church in Salzburg, built in the 12th century. It has two entrances, one which leads to the upper level directly from the palace, for the use of the Emperor and his entourage, the other from ground level for the common Salzburgers. The church was remodelled and refurbished in the late 18th century, and a Baroque style onion dome was added. Since then, the building has been integrated with the façade of the surrounding buildings, so little of the Roccoco outer building remains. The principal altar is decorated with an impressive painting of the Archangel Michael conquering Lucifer. The side altars are decorated with paintings of the two archangels, Gabriel and Raphael. The screen by Philipp Hinterseer (1770) is one of the loveliest adornments in St. Michael's Church after its conversion to the Baroque style.

Opening

Daily 8-11.45am, 1-6pm

Prices

Free, however a donation is appreciated


Address : Residenzplatz 5020 Salzburg Austria

Bus : Bus lines 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, stop: Mozartsteg West

Map :

Related places :