Central Austrian Bank - Vienna


The first ‘stones’ for the construction of the Central Austrian Bank (Österreichische Nationalbank, ÖNB) were laid in 1816, with two Imperial patents, the “Hauptpatent” and the “Bankpatent”. Because of these, the ÖNB gained the monopoly in printing the national currency. The economy therefore was a stable source of money, because it was independent from State expenses. In the third Reich, the ÖNB was liquidated by German law, and the Austrian currency stock was integrated into the German BC. When the Republic of Austria was reestablished, the ÖNB was also reinstated. Today it is part of the European System of central banks, and since 1999 has used the communal currency- the euro (€). Since then, it has been the BCE which is responsible for currency policy, and decisions are taken by the Conseil de la Banque of Central Europe.


Address : Otto-Wagner-Platz 3 1090 Vienna Austria

Subway : U Schottentor

Bus : Stop: Landesgerichtsstraße

Phone : +43 1404200

Fax : +43 1404202399

Web : http://www.oenb.at

Map :

Related places :