Benedictine Church of St Peter - Salzburg


St Peters is located in the oldest part of the city, and is the oldest monastery in the German speaking world. It was founded by St Rupert in 696, and is thought to be the oldest continually active monastery north of the Alps. There is a lovely mixture of architectural styles, due to the age of the building, and its many renovations, including those after the major fire in 1127, and the current basilica dates to this time. There are elements of not only High Romanesque style, but also Baroque and Roccoco styles. The main nave of the church contains the Rupert Altar with the so-called ""Felsengrab"" (""rock tomb"") which was the original tomb of St. Rupert. Some bones of the saint are kept in a shrine in the altar of the middle nave, but most of Rupert′s relics are kept in a shrine under the main altar of the cathedral.The monks were expelled by the Nazis during World War II, but returned after the war, and have remained active ever since.

Opening

Open daily 9am-7pm


Address : St Peter Bezirk 1 5020 Salzburg Austria

Bus : Bus lines 1 and 2 for the stop at St. Julien-Strasse. Bus lines 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 for the stop at Kiesel

Phone : +43 6628445760

Fax : +43 66284457680

Web : http://www.stift-stpeter.at/

Email : stift-st.peter@EUnet.at

Map :

Related places :