Tiber Island - Rome


Tiber Island is the only island on the river Tiber which lies within the boundaries of Rome. It has been linked to the rest of Rome by two bridges since antiquity and for centuries has been associated with healing. It was once the site of an ancient temple to Aesculapius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. In modern times, this association continues as the 16th century hospital on the western side of the island still operates today. Tiber Island also has important religious connections: The hospital is staffed by the Hospitallers of Saint John of God, a Roman Catholic order founded in 1572 and where the Aesculapius temple once stood is now the site of the Basilica of Saint Bartholomew on the Island. Despite its Baroque facade, this church was in fact founded at the end of the 10th century by Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor and contains the relics of Saint Bartholomew the Apostle.


Address : Isola Tiberina 186 Rome Italy

Subway : Metro B : Circo Massimo

Bus : Bus : C3, H, 23, 44, 63, 271, 280, 630, 780. Tram 8 : Argentina, Arenula

Map :

Related places :