Santa Maria della Vittoria - Rome

Santa Maria della Vittoria is a small basilica church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was built between 1608-1620 under the supervision of Carlo Maderno, who is regarded as one of the fathers of Baroque architecture. Incidentally it is the only edifice to have been designed and constructed by Maderno, who more often than not worked on remodelling existing structures. Its façade, however, was erected by Giovanni Battista Soria, architect of Pope Paul V’s nephew Cardinal Scipione Borghese, during Maderno's lifetime, 1624–1626. However, it is undoubtedly influenced by Maderno's Santa Susanna nearby. The inner plan consists of a single nave with three interconnecting side chapels behind arches separated by huge Corinthian pilasters, with gilded capitals which support an enriched entablature. After Maderno’s death, the interior was enriched with frescos painted on its vault, including the works of Giovanni Domenico Cerrini who painted The Virgin Mary Triumphing over Heresy and Fall of the Rebel Angels. However, the masterpiece of the church is Bernini’s group of marble sculptures, Ecstasy of Saint Teresa, found in the smaller Cornaro Chapel. Considered to be one of the sculptural masterpieces of the High Roman Baroque, they depict a moment described by Saint Teresa of Avila in her autobiography, where she had the vivid vision of an angel piercing her heart with a golden shaft, causing her both immense joy and pain.

Opening

Open daily from 7 am - 12 pm and then again from 3:45 pm - 7:30 pm. Visits take place outside Mass times.

Prices

Open access


Address : Via 20 Settembre, 17 187 Rome Italy

Subway : Metro A : Republica. Metro B : Castro Pretorio

Bus : Bus : 16, 36, 60, 61, 62, 84, 116, 140, 150, 175, 492, 590, 910

Phone : +39 0642740571

Fax : +39 064825705

Web : http://www.chiesasmariavittoria.191.it

Email : p.stefano@chiesasmariavittoria.191.it

Map :

Related places :