Sant'Ignazio di Loyola a Campo Marzio - Roma

Upon cardinal Ludovisi's order, the church of Sant'Ignacio di Loyola a Campo Marzio was built in 1626 following Carlo Modeno's plans in honour of Saint-Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, the order of the Jesuits. Despite its slightly severe façade, the edifice contains a marvel that is an immense trompe-l'oeil fresco by Andrea Pozzo depicting the apotheosis of the saint, welcomed by Jesus and the Virgin, and the allegory of his missionary work.

To see: the walls decorated with marbles and gildings, the trompe-l'œil dome on top of the transept, Andrea Pozzo's 17 metre long fresco (1685), the marble sculpted by Pierre Legros, Piazza Sant'Ignacio.

Opening

7.30-12.30/16.00-19.00


Address : Piazza di Sant'Ignazio Roma Italy

Phone : +39 6794406

Map :

Related places :