Ponte Sant'Angelo - Rome


The Ponte Sant'Angelo was preceded by a bridge built by Hadrian to give access to his Mausoleum located on the present day site of the Castel Sant'Angelo. The first bridge known as the Pons Aelius dating from 136, was in part re-used for the new bridge built in 1450. Nowadays its is above all famous for the sculpted angels completed by Bernini and his pupils in the 17th century. From the bridge there is a magnificent view of the river, the Castel Sant'Agnelo and the Law Courts located in the very large late 19th century building. This bridge also links the centre of ancient Rome to the Borgo district and then the Vatican.


Address : Ponte Sant'Angelo 186 Rome Italy

Subway : Station: Lepanto-Station: Ottaviano-S. Pietro: train A.

Map :

Related places :