Palazzo dei Conservatori - Rome

The Palazzo dei Conservatori (Palace of the Conservators) was originally built during the Middle Ages on top of a 6th century BC temple dedicated to the god Jupiter. With its Corinthian pilasters and Ionic columns spanning two storeys, it was an example of a giant order - an order whose columns or pilasters span two or more levels. Between 1564-75, the facade was updated by Giacomo della Porta in 1564-75 to the design of Michelangelo. Out of the three palazzi on the Capitoline Hill, the Palazzo dei Conservatori is the largest and contains many notable exhibits in its museum including the fragments of a colossal statue of the Emperor Constantine and also the Capitoline Wolf, a bronze statue depicting the figures of a young Romulus and Remus being nursed by a she-wolf. The palace also contains reception rooms used by the municipality of Rome on ceremonial occasions.


Open Tuesday - Sunday from 9 am - 8 pm. The tickand office closes at 7 pm. Open on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve from 9 am - 2 pm. Closed New Year's Day, 1 May and Christmas Day.


Adult : €6.50. Concession : € 4.50. Free for under 18s and over 65s.

Address : Piazza del Campidoglio 186 Rome Italy

Subway : Metro B : Colosseo

Bus : Bus : C3, 40, 46, 63, 70, 81, 87, 95, 160, 170, 271, 628, 630, 716. Tram 8 : Argentina, Arenula

Phone : +39 0639967800

Fax : +39 06785488

Web :

Email :

Map :

Related places :