Fountain of the Bees - Rome


In the Piazza Barberini, where the Piazza meets Via Sistina lies the Fontana delle Api (Fountain of the Bees). Commissioned by Pope Urban VIII, a member of the Barberini family, the sculptor Bernini completed the marble fountain in 1644, a few months prior to the pontiff’s death. It features large bees - the symbol of the Barberini family - and a clam-like structure on which there is Latin inscription reading: ‘Urban VIII Pont. Max., having built a fountain for the public ornamentation of the City, also built this little fountain to be of service to private citizens. In the year 1644, XXI of his pontificate.’ The fountain for the ‘public ornamentation’ refers to the Fontana Del Tritone, completed by Bernini the previous year.

Opening

Open access

Prices

Open access


Address : Via Vittorio Veneto 187 Rome Italy

Subway : Metro A : Barberini

Bus : Bus : C3, 52, 53, 61, 62, 63, 80, 95, 116, 150, 175, 492, 590,630

Map :

Related places :