Church of Les Invalides - Paris


The Invalides is made up of two churches: the Soldiers' Church, which features in its nave flags taken from the enemy during the campaigns of the 19th and 20th centuries, and the Eglise du Dôme, built between 1676 and 1706 by Jules Hardouin-Mansart, the great classical architect. Actually the two churches form a continuous architectural line, as they are only separated by a large glazed feature. The Eglise du Dôme, in classical style, is topped by a magnificent goldleaf dome with a lantern that culminates at over 350 feet. The dome is still a visual landmark in the city's skyline. At the instigation of Napoleon, the church became a resting-place for the tombs of some of France's most glorious military figures, including Turenne, and includes the urn containing the heart of Vauban. Napoleon himself was laid there in 1861, in a large red porphyry and green granite coffin designed by Visconti. His two brothers, Jérôme and Joseph Bonaparte, his son, l'Aiglon, and Lyautey and Foch are also buried there.

Opening

Open daily from 1 October to 31 March: 10.00am to 05.00pm and from 1 April to 30 September: 10.00am to 06.00pm.

Prices

Full tariff: 8 euros, reduced tariff: 6 euros.


Address : 129 Rue de Grenelle, Esplanade des Invalides 75007 Paris France

Subway : Station La Tour-Maubourg: metro M8 / station Varenne: metro M13

Bus : Stop: les Invalides: bus 93

Phone : +331 44 42 38 77

Fax : +331 44 42 37 64

Web : http://www.invalides.org

Email : accueil-ma@invalides.org

Map :

Related places :