Work in the USA

Le parc national de Yosemite

It's a long time since we left unceremoniously in the US to achieve the dream of the perfect '' self-made man ''! Today, working across the Atlantic is a little more complicated, and the rules are strict not to find illegal worker. So better to check before embarking:

USA: various work visas .

If you are looking to get a work visa for the United States, you should consult the government websites of the US State Department and the US Citizenship and immigration Services administering immigration programs in the United States. There are several types of US work visa:

& rarr; The H-1B

The H-1B visa allows a limited number of skilled and unskilled workers to work temporarily in the United States.

It usually requires a degree and is based on an application (Form I-129) filed by a US employer. The most common careers for visa holders H-1B are: nurses, teachers, IT professionals .

The H-1B visa is granted for a period of three years but may be renewed once.

& rarr; The H-2B visa

The H-2B visa is used by seasonal employees.

& rarr; L-1

L-1 matches that of the employees transferred between affiliates.

& rarr; P-1 Visas, P-2 and P-3

These visas are for artists, athletes and show business professionals.

& rarr; O visas

Visa allowing very specialized and experienced in the fields of science, art, film, education or sport to come to the United States for a project or event.

Children and spouse (if) the holder of one of these work visas can obtain visas of the same category.

USA: Illegal Work .

Working illegally in the US makes you run a very real risk of arrest, deportation, and unable to re-enter the country.

The illegal workers are also at risk of unsafe working conditions. Most illegal workers are found in close to the Mexican border states, every three months they leave the US territory to extend their tourist visa.

tourist visas and business.

These visas correspond to visa B-1, it allows you to stay for a maximum period of 6 months in the USA. The B-1 visa does not allow for employed by against it allows a stay for business. They may be renewed once for a period of 6 months. Besides a passport valid, you must have a biometric passport, for both adults and children and a return ticket.

There is also a B-2 visa, this one caters to tourists with only one-way.

Student Visa and Exchange Visitor.

If you are studying outside the United States you can apply for a visa "Exchange Visitor", it allows you to find a summer job in the USA for a period of 4 months.

If you want to study in the USA, you must apply for a visa application for F, M or J.

& rarr; The F visa is for students wishing to pursue their studies in a general education school.

& rarr; visa M , in technical or vocational school.

& rarr; visa J is a special program called "sponsorship".

The green card (green card).

The green card is the coveted key that allows to live and work in the United States without restriction. It allows somehow to become a US citizen, with rights and obligations that this status has, except the right to vote and to serve as a juror. In addition the green card owner must still have his card in his possession. To become completely American, we must make an application for naturalization after being a green card holder for at least 5 years.

So the big question is how to get that famous green card?

The process to obtain the green card can take several months to several years depending on the type of application and country of origin.

& rarr; First of all it is necessary to either have someone in your family to the USA to support your request or near a US employer to hire you. The employer must prove that there is no one but you in all the United States capable of performing the work offered brief ... unless on-qualified and with experience in concrete you can forget.

& rarr; The second way to get a green card is through the family, or you already have family in the United States ready to support your application, either you married to a US citizen. It must then obtain an immigrant number, this number can take years to be obtained because there are a number of numbers allocated each year by country of origin and the waiting lists in some countries can be long. < / p>

After obtaining an immigrant issue, the applicant must pass the temporary immigration status to that of permanent immigrant. The procedure usually takes about a year and is approved as long as all necessary documents are validated.

& rarr; There is another way to get the Green Card lottery each year as part of its "Diversity Immigrant Visa program", the US government holds a lottery for free to about 50,000 foreigners to receive a Green Card.

Warning companies offering to register for the lottery against an amount ranging from 30 to 50 dollars, they even claim that through them you increase your chance of being selected, it is a scam, remains the easiest to register yourself on the state department website: < / p>

The lottery is only open to citizens of certain countries each year and registration can only be done between October and November.

Warning be selected does not mean that we will give you a green card immediately, it must then fill out a full application (legal history, military, medical, etc.) and go in an interview at the US Embassy to apply for landed immigrant status. This is the immigration officer at the embassy who decides to validate the request or not.

Also note that the green card can be lost:

& rarr; It should stay for at least 6 months a year on American soil.

& rarr; In case you got the green card by marrying a US citizen with you, do not that divorce is granted for the first 2 years of marriage.

& rarr; Do not commit serious crimes.

Visas "au pair".

To make a living '' at par 'in the USA it is necessary to obtain a J-1 visa, this visa is obtained by making a request to a specialized agency and approved by the Department of state. These agencies then issue you with the IAP-66 form needed to obtain the J-1 visa. (Visa valid for a period of one year). This visa allows you to work at the home of an American family to perform such tasks: childcare, housework, cooking or language classes. Remember that this visa is for girls aged between 18 and 27, and the Baccalaureate.

Entry Formality in the US as a tourist.

Before you arrive, you will receive either a white Form I-94 (if you enter with a visa) or green I-94W (if you enter on a visa waiver). If you are not a citizen or resident of the United States, you will go through a short interview with immigration, where the agent will try to determine whether the purpose of your visit is valid and if you have the funds to support yourself, and you do not intend to work or perform any unauthorized activity.

Usually, the determination of eligibility is made in less than a minute, but if in doubt, you will have to answer to other questions in a private area. Once they decide to let you in, your fingerprints and a digital photograph is taken.

On your immigration form must be indicated the address where you will stay, which should be arranged in advance, hotel, hostel, college, friends ... etc. If staying in multiple locations, indicate the address where you will spend the first night of your stay.

Once you are accepted, the forms I-94 or I-94W will be stapled to your passport.